The Club was founded by Anthony Brown, father of several well-known musicians including Iona and Timothy, who organised concerts in his own home.
An Inaugural Meeting held on April 1st 1941 at 27A New Canal established the club on a more formal footing. The objects of the club were set out as
(a) encouraging the playing and appreciation of Chamber Music
(b) putting players in touch with one another
(c) facilitating the loan of music
(d) stimulating practice by enabling groups to play to critical audiences of fellow members.
The annual subscription was fixed at five shillings.
We can still claim to adhere to the first three of the stated objects of the club, but the days when concerts were always given by members to members are long gone. We now try to provide opportunities for local amateur musicians to play to a live audience which will always be friendly and supportive; as part of this policy, every year we invite one of the local schools to bring their students to play for us.